What kind of person are you?

If someone asked what kind of person you are, what would say?  "I like horses, ice hockey, and red wine, and I hate skin care products"?  You might think that reveals a lot about you, but your likes and dislikes are not necessarily that helpful for someone who wants to know what you are like as a person.

Let me tell you what kind of person I am -- and I'll warn you, it's not pretty.  You know the song "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent?  Great guitar song, really rocks.  The lyrics are kind of weird, arguably misogynistic, but I can ignore that.  I ignore all kinds of annoying lyrics in songs I like; they won't be my favourite songs, but if they have a nice sound, I will still like them.  What I can't ignore is the line where he sings,

I've got you in a stranglehold baby
You best get out of the way.

WTF??  If you have someone in a stranglehold, it is way too late for him to get out of the way.  Suggesting that he (or she) do so is a sign that you've lost your mind, don't grasp basic physics, or possibly that you just throw down random words to get a rhyme.  I'd bet on the last one, although I'm not positive.  In any case, every time I hear these lines, my brain feels the mental equivalent of fingernails being dragged across a chalkboard, and screams (in internal monologue), "Why, Ted, why?  Were you too busy practicing until you learned all the licks that you couldn't be bothered to write lyrics that make any sense?"

So that's what kind of person I am.  As I said, it's not a pretty picture, but that's me.  What kind of person are you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science and Philosophy, Part I: Hume and Popper

Country Music

What Are Pronouns For?