Complex health complexes

I went to a physical therapist on Monday, the first time I had been in this medical complex.  I pulled in a random parking place and figured I would walk to where I needed to be.  The building in front of me was clearly labelled "545."  I checked the address:  also 545, I was in luck.  As I approached the door, a saw a sign that it was only for orthopedics; all others should use the next entrance to the left.  I checked the therapist's titles; "orthopedics" was mentioned twice, so I continued in.   There was a woman behind a desk right at the entrance who informed me that I needed to go to the next entrance, second floor.

No big deal.  I walked a couple of hundred feet to the next entrance, also well labelled ("515").  I saw no signs on the way in, but I did see stairs, so I proceeded to the second floor.  I found myself in a hospital ward:  patients lying on beds in rooms, nurses bustling around with medicine.  This was a little disorienting.  I found a desk nearby and asked where I needed to go for physical therapy:  downstairs, over some, and up the elevator.  I found the elevator (still without anything that would have told me the PT office was in that direction) and took it upstairs.  The first door I saw had sign reading "Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation."  That sounded promising, but it was incorrect; I wanted the suite across the hall, which was labelled "UVa-Encompass Health Therapy Services Center."

Health complexes tend to be confusing, but this seemed needlessly so.  Why is the office at the address 545 if I have to go in the 515 entrance?  Why is it listed as Suite 2100 when I never saw a suite number there or anywhere else, and every time I said I was looking for Suite 2100 I got blank stares?  And why were there no signs indicating where various things were?  Some offices have a directory of physicians on each level, which is very helpful.  I would settle for a list of offices.  I realize it's too much to expect something as simple as "Physical Therapy," but I wish they could at least pick consistent terminology.  "Health Therapy Services Center" is hopelessly vague and I would never have thought I was in the right place had I come across it without having it pointed out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science and Philosophy, Part I: Hume and Popper

Country Music

What Are Pronouns For?