Colour names

Have you ever wondered why we have a separate name for light red -- pink -- but no commonly used separate names for other light colours? Baby blue is as different from navy as pink is from red, but we can only identify it by adding a modifier to "blue"; it doesn't get its own word. "Pretty in Pink" makes a nice title, but "Pretty in Light Red" would never do. The same goes for light green, light purple, and other colours -- yellow, too, I suppose, although it's hard to think of yellow as being anything other than light. One could speculate that we use pink in a lot of common contexts -- flowers, lips, sometimes even skin colour, and it is the archetypal colour for girls -- but I don't know if that is adequate.

I've also wondered why green seems so different from the colours that form it. When I see purple, it looks red and blue to me; when I see orange, it looks red and yellow. But when I see green, it doesn't look at all blue or yellow; it looks effectively like another primary colour. I know this isn't just a cultural artefact, because I remember learning colour combinations and finding purple and orange perfectly logical, but green almost magical. Is it just me, or do other people see it this way? Just this evening I stumbled onto a reference indicating that many cultures do not even distinguish green and blue as colours,which is hard for me to understand. Interestingly, some of them do have a separate word for light blue, which makes perfect sense.

My son Jonathan and I recently ate lunch at Steak and Shake. He read a flyer that advertised "4 meals for under $4," and noticed that all of the meals were $3.99. It offended him, since they were only a penny less than $4; they shouldn't count as "under $4," in his opinion.

Comments

  1. Makes me think of the web show Red VS Blue. One of the characters is a rookie (and male) and is issued 'lightish red' (in his words) armor and refuses to admit it is PINK. I have referred to pink as 'lightish red' ever since in casual conversation just to mess with people.

    I think green more blue... if that makes sense. Not any kind of yellow at least.

    On a side note I agree with your son. One cent under is cheating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Science and Philosophy, Part I: Hume and Popper

Country Music

What Are Pronouns For?